On Sunday we travelled to Wynnum with a new plan and a positive attitude but by about half time we all were in doubt as to the value of the changes.
Our boys just didn’t seem to want to be in front nor first to the ball and by half’s end it proved to be a very disappointing result on the scoreboard. The usual suspects were contributing throughout the first half however unfortunately Wynnum’s effort was across the board and so we were fighting an uphill battle.
I will not go into the detail of the first half as it makes for pretty negative reading, enough said with the 8.5 to 0.1 score line.
There was a general murmur around the traps that we should change our strategy and in fact feedback from some quarters was that this plan was not sound; the score at this stage sure suggested that these thoughts were valid. My thoughts when coming up with this new strategy were simple; we had lost every game by playing with a defensive structure so there could be nothing lost if we went full out, on attack. I truly believe that the structure we put in place on the weekend is the only chance we have to win games.
I am glad for the boys and a little for myself that the 2nd half showed the results that I always knew our boys could achieve. Considering that we were playing the 2nd team on the ladder, our total dominance of possession from half time to the final siren and a goal-less 3rd quarter for Wynnum; showed what these boys are capable of both in attack and defence. Winning both the 3rd Quarter: 1.1 to 0.1 and 4th Quarter: 3.5 to 3.0 was something the boys could truly be proud of and if they believe in themselves and continue to own the new roles they have been given, an exciting end to the season awaits.
· Ronan: Best game ever, owned the Centre Half Back role and took on opposition at every chance. Very exciting! keep up the extra practice and the great attitude.
· Taggs and Chappy: Usual 100% effort, they truly are the best on ball combination in this division and maybe even the U12’s period.
· Deck and Diesel: Well done great attack on the ball and rebounded well from their behind the ball positions.
· Cam and Brady: great attack on ball and opposition, continued efforts in this way will prove exciting for us all.
· Flash: Well done mate, great to see a full game of footy with no indecision nor fear. Definitely your best of the year.
· Disco, Boschy and Bridge: Flashes of brilliance and gives us great confidence for the remaining games.
· Backline: Well done to you all, the coaches are all incredibly proud of the way you have taken ownership of your new jobs keep it up.
It was great to see the excitement on the boys faces at game’s end and to hear the same in the cheering of parents and supporters throughout the 2nd half. I can’t wait for the next games and can see a win coming soon.