Tigers Defense Stands Tall

By , 19 May 2010

Tigers Defense Stands Tall

Under 16's match Report round 3

Tigers Defense Stands Tall

Sunday 16 May 2010

Under 16’s vs Beenleigh at Beenleigh

After making the long trek south the boys prepared themselves well to tackle the buffaloes at their home paddock. We had our full compliment of players with Benny and Corbs back from representative duties and ready to lead from the front. It was an overcast day which made it a bit easier for footy to be played in the midday sun. The message from Tags’ in the pre match address was for the boys to be consistent throughout the game from start to finish.

Benny won the tossed and chose to kick to the "long" end of the ground. Wilko opened the scoring for the Tigers with a goal after a precision like pass from Benny Delahay. The Buffaloes began to make a few forays into their forward lines but were repelled by our well drilled backline of Matty, Zac O’Hea, Sean, Jayke, Trent and Keenan. Petey and Alex on their wings were providing the link up players for our on ballers. The opposition’s attacks eventually broke through to register their first goal for the quarter (and Game). Not to be deterred the boys worked hard to register their second goal through Marto who had popped up in front of goals. Time for Drifto to stand up and he did by scoring two goals in succession to finish off the quarter.

Quarter time score: Redcliffe 4.2.26 to Beenleigh 1.0.6

The quarter time huddle and speech from Tags praised all the boys on their efforts for the quarter. The stats were delivered by Pykey and there was a glaring need for the ball to be won out of the middle as clearances were 0-5 against us.

The second quarter started with Clarky in the ruck and instant success as the centre breaks allowed Benny, Corbs and Al Dunbier to deliver the ball to the forwards who were beginning to pepper the goals. A mark to Braeden at 60 out turned to 10 out to due an indiscretion from a Buffaloes player giving 50 metres away and handing him his first goal for the game. Momentum began to rise as the Tigers were winning the centre clearances which enabled small forward Marto and big forward Pat to kick respective goals. Trent who had been moved to CHF flew high above two Buffaloes players to take a mark reminiscent of that St Kilda star to slot his first goal of the game.

Halftime score: Redcliffe 8.7. 55 to Beenleigh 1.0.6

The halftime address and red frogs break provided a time to reflect on our efforts for the game so far. The consistency was evident in the scoreboard and also around the ground through hard work and contests. Tags made a few changes to the team for the second half so as to enable the boys to get used to different positions on the ground. Jedda and Woody almost fell over as they found themselves in the backline, Matty into the forwards for that rare goal opportunity.

The quarter started off with the Beenleigh boys throwing everything at the Redcliffe backline which stood up to the challenge and repelled their forward thrusts to turn them into attacks. Jedda earned one of our rare free kicks after putting his body between the ball and opposition. Benny and Corbs teamed up to set Pat up for a shot on goal which he delivered to slot his second for the game. Keenan had been moved to the forward line where he produced a great mark in the forward pocket and on a difficult angle finished off with a goal. Al, who has just turned 16, was relishing the move to halfback where he attacked the ball with vigour, linking up with Petey, Wilko and Drifto to enable forward attacks.

Braeden was starting to get his hands on the ball more often and this enabled his handballing skills, learnt from dad, to come to the fore front. Another 50 metre penalty gave Braeden his second goal for the game as the siren sounded for three quarter time.

Three Quarter time score: Redcliffe 12.11.83 to Beenleigh 1.2.8

The final address from Tags was the same message as from the start of the game with emphasis on consistency and winning the contest. A mention of puppies caught the attention of the boys.

The final quarter started with a burst from the middle to find Keenan on the far boundary where he marked, played on and casually kicked another goal from an acute angle. The next goal went to Zac van Haaften as he won a free kick for his tireless work in the ruck, steadfastly lined up and kicked the goal of one step. The next four goals were the result of waking the "sleeping giant". Pat had had a quiet game so far until the next 10 minutes where he managed to kick four goals as a result from his good leading and receiving some lace out passes from his teammates. Another 6 goals for the big forward. Craig was receiving some running instructions which were testing his stamina and speed. Terry was out done by Geoff in the vocal department this week.

A great team effort again from all of the boys. Now is the time to start preparing for next week’s game as we want to keep this consistency going throughout the season. A big thankyou to all the helpers and big Nick.

Final score: Redcliffe 18.13.121 to Beenleigh 1.2.8

Goal scorers: P.Pyke-6, Driftman-2, Madden-2, Cester-2, Ely-2, Martin-2, Wilkinson-1, Van Haaften-1

Best Players: Delahay, Dickfos, Furness, Chedzey, Clark, Ely



About Steve Brown

Tigers Defense Stands Tall

You May Also Like

Join the Mailing List

Subscribe to our mailing list for the latest news and announcements.

Recent Photos

Latest Poll

Who will win the 2017 AFL Flag
Gold Coast
Nth Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Sydney Swans
West Coast
Western Bulldogs